"Dear Irvin" Fall 2013 by Bill Syrett

“Dear Irvin”
A note from your faculty adviser
Fall 2013

Dear Irvin Hall residents:

Welcome to a new school year, one in which you will have ultimate control over how successful it will be!  Each of you came to Penn State for a variety of reasons, whether academic, financial or something else, but none of you would be here if you didn’t have the tools to succeed.  You all have what it takes to prosper here at Penn State and just need to find the proper balance between your studies, your community activities and your entertainment.  You have already made a very wise choice by choosing Irvin--we are very fortunate to have a special living option for those of us in the college of Earth and Mineral Sciences.  By living here you will be assisted in finding that proper balance through required social, academic and community service events.  But, rather than thinking of them as required, look at these events as a path toward success.  Get involved and be thankful for the opportunities afforded you.  I have been here at Penn State long enough to know what qualities generally make up the most successful students, and being the “smartest” or “most involved” is good, but using your specific skills in a way that enhances your connections with your fellow students (and everyone else) is better, and that is accomplished through balancing your time between hitting the books and social and community involvement.

As I mentioned in the last letter, I am always learning from you and hope that you find me to be accessible and helpful.  What help I may provide beyond serving as a connection to college and university administration, and attending lunches and other functions is really up to you, so please don’t ever hesitate to ask when needed.  As returning students already know, I’m pretty good with email and pretty pathetic with Facebook and Twitter.  My office hours, if you are interested, are Wednesdays from 7-10am and by appointment and I’m in 606C Walker, a part of the Joel N. Myers Weather Center, actually a pretty cool place.  I look forward to seeing you during the TOTEMS move-in and at many other times during the fall.

Once again, a few facts about me…
I grew up in Bristol, Connecticut and have been a “weather weenie” since age 5.  I received my B.S. in Meteorology at Penn State in the winter of 1983 and lived in Pinchot Hall (East Halls) the entire time, but had many friends in Irvin Hall.  The only reason I didn’t live in Irvin was a good roommate who was not a member of our great college, in case you were curious.  I then earned an M.S. here in Meteo and have worked in both research and teaching since 1987.  I love Penn State, especially our college, which truly is much more student-friendly than most, if not all other colleges.  I hope that I will be able to eventually help you feel the same way if you don’t already.

Again, I’m excited to be involved with Irvin and really want to hear from you with comments or suggestions--and please write or stop by and visit if you ever feel that I could be of service to any of you.  Keep up with your work and have a great semester!  Thanks very much.

Sincerely,

Bill Syrett, Senior Lecturer in Meteorology and Manager, Joel N. Myers Weather Center