"Dear Irvin" Spring 2016 by Bill Syrett



“Dear Irvin”
A note from your faculty adviser
Spring 2016

Dear Irvin Hall residents:

Happy New Year!  Welcome back (or for a few of you, welcome!) to the best living option on campus, and possibly in all of State College, and possibly in all of Pennsylvania, the U.S., in North America, the northern and western hemispheres, on the planet and across the universe…  Anyway, Irvin is a special place for many reasons and I am sure many of you appreciate that.

Sometimes I tend to overlook what’s good about my life and focus on the negative, often stressful things going on around me.  Don’t we all?  So, in case you aren’t 99.5% pumped up about the new semester (I’ll allow a half percent negativity as a healthy dose of reality) I would like to let you know what makes me happy to be a part of your college experience.

First, I thank you for allowing me to feel welcome in your “home away from home.”  It is always nice for me to see how some things have changed since I was a student (too many ways to even begin to list, except that the dining hall food is much, much better) and how some things never change (midterm and final exam stress, for example).  I greatly appreciate seeing evidence of your support for one another, and for the college and the community, and of this I am proud!

Also, as someone who was pretty shy during my school days, I’d encourage board and committee members and those of you more outgoing souls to continue to make a point of saying hello to residents who may appear to be less interested, or detached from the day-to-day goings-on.  There could be shyness, a perceived language barrier or any number of reasons for someone to stay in the shadows and not get very involved and odds are pretty high that they would welcome a friendly face and an opportunity to get more involved.  And if you’re one of us shy people, make an effort to get more involved and I am certain (through personal experience) that you will feel even more fortunate to be a part of this special living option.

A few facts about me (you may stop if you’ve heard this one already)…

I grew up in Bristol, Connecticut and have been a “weather weenie” since age 5.  I received my B.S. in Meteorology at Penn State in the winter of 1983 and lived in Pinchot Hall (East Halls), but had many friends in Irvin.  I then earned an M.S. here in Meteo and have worked in both research and teaching since 1987.  I think Penn State is a fantastic institution, and our college, which truly is much more student-friendly than most, is the best on campus.  I hope that I will be able to eventually help you feel the same way if you don’t already.  My office is 606C Walker and my email address is wjs1@psu.edu.  Don’t be a stranger if you think I can help with anything.

Again, I’m excited to be involved with Irvin and want to hear from you with comments or suggestions.  Please write or stop by and visit if you ever feel that I could be of service to any of you.  Keep up with your work, find that perfect balance between academics and activities, and have a great semester!  Thanks very much.

Sincerely,

Bill Syrett, Senior Lecturer in Meteorology and Manager, Joel N. Myers Weather Center Email: wjs1@psu.edu, Ph: (814) 865-6172