"Dear Irvin" Fall 2018 by Bill Syrett


“Dear Irvin”
A note from your faculty adviser
Fall 2018

Dear Irvin Hall residents:

As your faculty adviser I’d like to welcome you to a new school year at Penn State!  So…  WELCOME!  If you are here then you have shown that you have what it takes to prosper here at Penn State- congratulations.  One challenge for many students, especially new ones, is finding the proper balance between your studies, your community activities and your entertainment.  You have already made a very wise choice by choosing Irvin--we are very fortunate to have a special living option for those of us in the college of Earth and Mineral Sciences.  By living here you will be assisted in finding that proper balance through required social, academic and community service events.  But, rather than thinking of them as required, look at these events as a path toward success.  Get involved and be thankful for the opportunities afforded you.

It can and will be stressful at times, and you’ll weather those times better by working through them with your friends (who are going through or have gone through similar stressful events). And please don’t ever hesitate to ask me for help when needed.  My office hours, if you are interested are Wednesdays from 7-10am and by appointment and I’m in 606C Walker, a part of the Joel N. Myers Weather Center, actually a pretty cool place.  You may stop by at other times, too, just let me know what works for you.  I enjoyed seeing some of you during the TOTEMS move-in and hope to see you many other times during the fall.

A few facts about me…
I grew up in Bristol, Connecticut and have been a “weather weenie” (yes, I’m one of THEM) since age 5.  I received my B.S. in Meteorology at Penn State in the winter of 1983 and lived in Pinchot Hall (East Halls), but had many friends in Irvin.  I then earned an M.S. here in Meteo and have worked in both research and teaching since 1987.  I think Penn State is a fantastic institution, and our college, which truly is much more student-friendly than most, is the best on campus.  I hope that I will be able to eventually help you feel the same way if you don’t already.

Again, I’m excited to be involved with Irvin and really want to hear from you with comments or suggestions--and please write or stop by and visit if you ever feel that I could be of service to any of you.  Keep up with your work, find that perfect balance between academics and activities, and have a great semester!  Thanks very much.

Sincerely,

Bill Syrett
Assistant Teaching Professor in Meteorology and Atmospheric Science
Manager, Joel N. Myers Weather Center
Irvin Hall SLO Faculty Adviser